Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Talk Transcript

Girls
Who Rock! Book Talk
By:
Caitlin Hunter
Transcript:
Are you tired of reading about girls changing
everything that they are for a guy? Do
you get sick of reading about girls who never stand up for what they believe in? Do you wonder why all the “Cinderellas” are
waiting around for their Prince Charmings, when really, they should take charge
of their own lives? Here are some books
for you!!
Book 1: Heartbeat by Sharon Creech. “ Am I
supposed to do something important? It doesn’t seem enough to merely take up
space on this planet, in this country, in this state, in this town, in this
family.” (p 28).
I am twelve year old Annie and I would probably not
be the first character that you would think of as a “strong girl.” I am going through a lot of life changes… my
mom is expecting a new baby, my grandfather has Alzheimer’s, and my best friend
is always depressed and unhappy with life.
Read Heartbeat to find out just how Annie survives this tumultuous time
in her life and discovers who she is as a person.
Book 2: Get
Well Soon by Julie Halpern.
Funny. “Raisins again. I like raisins, but
I have a habit of losing one or two on the floor every time I eat them. I
always find them later and think they are: a) a mouse turd or b) a cockroach.
Then I figure out it's a raisin and sigh with relief. This pretty much happens
every time I find a lost raisin.”
Anna is a
teenager who suffers with depression.
Her parents decided to admit her into what she calls, “the loony bin,”
so that she can get her depression under control. Anna does not understand why she is forced to
stay in a hospital just because she is sad, but she soon begins to enjoy her
time in the mental hospital. Anna makes
friends, becomes a “popular” girl, and even has a love interest. All the while, she keeps everyone laughing
with her wit and funny stories. Read Get Well Soon to see how humor can help
Anna get out of any situation!
Book 3: Weedflower. By Cynthia Kadohata. Determined.
“This is what it felt like to be lonely:
1. Like everyone was looking at
you. Sumiko felt this once in a while.
2. Like nobody was looking at you. Sumiko felt this a lot.
3. Like you didn’t care about anything
at all. She felt this maybe once a week.
4. Like you were just about to cry over
every little thing. She felt this about
once a day.”
Hi! I am
Sumiko, and I am twelve. For many
reasons, I have never felt like I fit in.
I went to school, but I felt like an outsider because I was the only
Japanese American. My parents died when I was young, so often, I felt like an
outsider when living with my aunt and uncle. The only place I felt comfortable
was at home in the flower fields that my family grew. Weedflowers, or wild
flowers, are my favorite! However, my life changed dramatically when the
Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941. My
family and I were forced to move to an internment camp, where strangely, I
actually began to feel accepted. Read Weedflower to discover how my
determination helped me in this difficult time.
Book 4: The Hunger Games: Strong. “My
spirit. This is a new thought. I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it
suggests I'm a fighter. In a sort of brave way. It's not as if I'm never
friendly. Okay, maybe I don't go around loving everybody I meet, maybe my
smiles are hard to come by, but i do care for some people.”
My name is Katniss Everdeen and here is my story! My
little sister, Prim, was chosen to participate in The Hunger Games, an annual
ritual where two older children or teens from each district are chosen to fight
to the death in a public arena. I just
couldn’t let that happen, so I volunteered to take Prim’s place in the Hunger
Games, and I was immediately whisked away to prepare for the games. During the games, I am faced with
dehydration, hunger, fire, and other obstacles that the Capitol throws my way
as I struggle to survive. Read The Hunger Games to see if my strong spirit, and my
relationship with Peeta, another
tribute, can help me survive the most intense games yet!
Book 5: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
Intelligent “Actually I'm highly logical which
allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others
overlook” – Hermione
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the last book in the epic Harry Potter series. Throughout the series, I, Hermione Granger,
help keep my friends Harry and Ron alive as we fight the evil Lord Voldemort
and his Death Eaters. I use my wit,
intelligence, and overall nerdiness to solve problems, outsmart the villains,
and keep everyone in line! The last book
of the series is no different… as Harry, Ron, and I set off on a quest to find
and destroy horcruxes, which hold part of Lord Voldemort’s soul, we encounter
many obstacles. Will I be able to figure
out how to get myself and my friends out of this scary situation alive? Read Harry
Potter and the Deathly Hallows to find out!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment